Automatic Incident Detection is a system to detect incidents in traffic. The systems are used for safety purposes in tunnels, but also on highways. Video or radar technology is used to detect incidents.
- Such systems can detect the following types of traffic incidents:
- stopped vehicle;
- vehicle going the wrong way;
- pedestrian on driveway;
- foreign objects on driveway;
- significant reduction of visibility;
- fire (does not replace a fire alarm system, though);
- reduction in average speed of the vehicle flow (not for single vehicles).